The Maine Health Access Foundation's mission is to promote access to quality health care, especially for those who are uninsured and underserved, and improve the health of everyone in Maine.
MeHAF works with nonprofit partners and key leaders in the public and private sectors to advance initiatives and policies that particularly help those who face barriers accessing health care services and achieving optimal health. Each year we provide approximately $4 million in grant and program funding to support activities aligned with our mission.
As Maine’s largest independent health philanthropy, every aspect of MeHAF’s mission-driven work supports our core values.
- It takes more than grantmaking to achieve our mission. Through the strategic use of all our human and financial resources, MeHAF promotes innovation, cultivates bold ideas and brings people together for the common purpose of expanding access, improving health and transforming the health care system in Maine.
- Every aspect of our work should be guided by the voices of the people we’re dedicated to serve. Our work is informed and shaped by the advice, insights and life experiences of people across Maine, particularly those who are uninsured and underserved, so we can promote health equity across the state.
- We value diverse perspectives that challenge our assumptions and strengthen our work. As a mission-driven, nonpartisan foundation, we understand the value of soliciting a broad range of ideas and opinions to critique and improve our work.
- Building trust and cultivating deep, collaborative relationships are essential to our success. We need diverse partners from all sectors to accomplish our mission, so we must approach our work with humility, honesty and an openness that builds trust for lasting relationships.
- As stewards of the foundation’s resources, we must be accountable, transparent and wise in determining their best use. In the pursuit of our mission, we are committed to using our resources with the highest level of honesty, integrity and transparency so we can be fully accountable for our actions and decisions.